Thursday, February 18, 2010

A New Season

I don't mean the transition between winter and spring...I mean the Lenten Season.

Although I didn't grow up attending church regularly, everyone around me observed the season of Lent - so I would, too. Then, as I grew up and began attending youth group in High School, I learned more about what it meant and why I would observe it. As I entered college and began my journey toward becoming Catholic, Lent became even more important.

Now, although I no longer attend a Catholic church, I do attend a Christian church regularly and was looking forward to service lastnight for Ash Wednesdsay. No such luck. Apparently the church I attend, "Church of God" doesn't observe Lent? I was so surprised. I thought Lent was a CHRISTIAN thing, not a denominational thing... But Jimmy told me he had never observed Ash Wednesday or Lenten fasting - ever - until I came along. So it makes me wonder, who really observes Lent and honors Lent and takes part in all the Lenten activities?

As a growing Christian, I'm making it my goal to learn more about the season of Lent, what it means, who observes it and why some demoninations don't.

I think anything we can do to demonstrate our love for Christ and our thankfulness for saving us is reasonable. I am gladly going to observe the Lenten season and when I have kids, they will observe it too. I'm going to find the biblical reasoning and use that as a basis - which is what we should all do to justify our actions.

I am glad and proud to be a saved Christian and I hope the way I live my life lets others know I am a Christian as well.  And not just a Christian who is good, but a Christian who does good.  For faith without good deeds is meaningless.

God bless all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't believe I found this post:) Its a little late but I wanted to comment because you aren't alone. I actually was raised going to church from the time I was born until now...HOWEVER...I attended Lutheran church, baptized, 1st communion, confirmed, the whole shebang but my freshman year of high school we started going to a non-denominational bible church (I would liken it to Baptist). My family STILL struggles with the lack of attention shown to certain "seasons". Our church does not acknowledge Advent OR Lent and does not have a special Palm Sunday Service, Ash Wedsnesday service and it doesn't even do a service on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. No matter where you are in your faith or your journey understanding Christianity, your questions are absolutely dead on! I know that our church believes that such staunch "traditions" is exactly what gets us wrapped up in "religion" instead of that deep seeded relationship with Christ himself. I, personally, understand what they mean but I know from my background how much that special service or "season" that is focused so heavily on what Christ did for us and who He is, is always what drove me a little deeper. I like to adopt things both from my Lutheran upbringing and my more bible-based Baptist style church. My family goes to another church for Christmas service, typically with my sister-in-law and brother's catholic church. Not really an answer at all for you, but wanted to comment since I saw someone else had similiar thoughts and feelings! :) I hope when I have a family someday no matter what type of church we are at, I will still be busting out an Advent calendar and Lent traditions. ;) (sorry for the long post, keep up your good spirit!)

    ReplyDelete