Monday, February 8, 2010

It's snowing....again.

I have seen more snow/ice/wintery weather in the nearly 5 years I have lived here in Oklahoma than I did my entire life in Washington. This fact seems to fascinate people who are from the South-Central US as the Northwest is viewed rainy and cold - all the time, right? Nope.

The last weekend in January was supposed to be awesome with Mom & Dad arriving early Thursday afternoon and staying through Sunday. Unfortunately, Mother Nature decided to foil our plans, bringing rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain to the Southern Plains starting Thursday morning. All flights into Tulsa and Oklahoma City were cancelled. Fortunately, I was able to get them a flight into Wichita, Kansas after much finagling with the airline. They finally made it, sans checked baggage and arrived about 24 hours later than scheduled via rental car from Wichita.

We made the best of our short weekend together by working on projects in our house, cooking, eating and playing Charades. I had never played Charades and it was probably one of the most fun evenings I have ever had with my parents and Jimmy. It was a great opportunity to act silly and laugh - a lot.

Sunday came way too fast, and as Jimmy and I drove toward the airport, leading the way for Mom & Dad, I couldn't help but think of when the next time I would be able to see them was. Not soon enough, that's for sure!

For now, I'm focusing on the funny memories from Charades and searching the Internet for a decent deal on airfare for late summer.

Summer will be welcomed with open arms - even though summer brings humidity. I'm tired of snowflakes and 6 miles of mud road. I'm ready to go back home, where it stays dry. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment